Friday, January 16, 2009

Horseshoes and Handgrenades..............

That's the only time close counts. They say history is doomed to repeat itself and I almost became a self-fulfilling prophecy yesterday. I came back from lunch after hearing that California was going, as a state, bankrupt and incited a political/financial conversation with my co-workers. I was making some points to a dumbass co-worker about the general state of the economy and how everyone in our company could be laid off any moment (ie nothing's secure). Not two minutes later, everyone was called into the conference room........well, everyone minus the three people that got laid off while I was at my lunch break. Before the Christmas break, we were informed that bonuses, raises and the Company party was cancelled directly due to the tank in the economy. As mad as that made me, I was starting to see the writing on the wall and basked in the consolation prize of still having a job. Yesterday, that became more than a consolation prize, it became the Grand Prize. I know its been almost two years since I got laid off from Actia and moved to Indy and started this blog but I'm still shell-shocked. I've been a rogue engineer for this company, doing whatever odd jobs necessary to justify my existence. I think a recent project I took on is the only reason I didn't make the list. Knock on wood. What makes matter's worse is that two of the people on the list have family's, one just had a new baby a few months back. I also found out through some connections that the list got shuffled around a few hours before being enacted. I know that my opinion doesn't matter but it sucks when people that are trying to make a difference get gone in place of those that bring the company down. Again, its only my opinion.
On a positive note, had a date with my new found friend the other night. The jury's still out but at least I'm getting back in the game.
It's going to be a long winter......................

No comments: